Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Today, We Celebrate Our Independence!

Before Obama and Clinton, Bill Pullman was my favorite President of all time. Who didn't want to jump up and defend the skies against the alien menace after that speech in Independence Day?

"Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
It is the tiny patriot in me. And let's face it, damn good speeches are damn good speeches.  For once, I'm not at work, wishing I'd thought to book the date off so that I could be American in full colors. Today I rocked it in red, white and blue from head to toe and went from shop to shop, sourcing an amazing BBQ steak dinner. You might be thinking: that's an alarming turn of events. And you might not be wrong. I am working with an entire bottle of Jack Daniels and naked flame. And yes, while I reduced the Jack Daniels, I thought I'd pass out from the fumes. In good faith, I'll also admit that I did get distracted by kitten gazing and nearly missed my reduction wnidow. But suddenly, with molasses and all the other bits, my BBQ sauce is smelling SMOKIN'.

While I do celebrate my Independence today, this is the last Independence Day in London for some time. Normally, I'd sadface, but after the usual hunt for American ales (no Anchor Steam, ALAS) and fireworks (sparklers just aren't the same), I'm actually excited to be back in the motherland for next year's 4th of July. Somebody better throw me a Pool Party BBQ and take me to a fireworks show.

Anyway, Happy Independence Day to all my countrymen and those married to them!

No comments: